Suggest treatment for bad breath due to water brash

ENT Specialist
Dr XXXXXXX chooudhary when I sleep on my left side, fluids enters my mouth and it stinks really bad, and the smell continues thoughout the day. This condition has been going on for quite a few years. I refuse to leave my house because of my bad breathe. Please help, this has effected my sex life and my social life. Thank you in advance for or help.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Water brash Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. This fluid seems to be 'Water brash'. Excessive salivation, gastroesophageal reflux and a post nasal drip may be the possible causes. 2. It is important to search for a cause of the excess salivation. Mouth breathing and snoring should be ruled out. Get an Esophageal manometry and an abdominal USG (Ultrasound) done to rule out any hiatus (sliding) hernia. 3. Review any current medications to rule out drug-induced causes. You may try an increased dose of proton pump inhibitors and gut motility enhancers. Lying down on the left side is recommended to reduce reflux, hence this must be water brash. 4. Use medicated mouth washes and steam inhalation. Get a Dental check-up done. A plain Sinus CT may help determine the source of any post nasal drip. Have you had any exposure to chemicals? 5. Anti reflux measures should be taken. Avoid heavy meals, eat at least 2-3 hours before lying down, raise the head end of the bed and avoid any food that you are intolerant to. What is your weight? Weight reduction may help. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.