Suggest treatment for back and muscle pain

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi....I can't seem to get any help. After cutting down trees for 2 days, and then twisting while working on a car, I suddenly had sudden extreme pain in my back. I had rib # 9 and 10 pushed in so they were behind my spine for 8 months before any doctor could determine the cause of my extreme pain. Once ribs were pushed back, I was better but only if I didn't do anything. Now almost 2 years later, still incapable of doing anything....very tight sore back and neck muscles. My ribs feel like they move around and rub on bone. They are still in place but feel like they move....pain from back all around to front of chest. I am in constant discomort and muscle spasm. I have had mri, cat one can figure out what to do. Doctor's say, I have heard of it but have never seen it. I have been to several specialists including neurologist, chiropractor, orthopedic surgeon, Neurosurgeon in Boston. What kind of doctor do I see? What test is needed and can the ribs be taken out...I'll sign for surgery tomorrow. Thank you for your help. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Consult good spine surgeon or thoracic surgeon . Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. I appreciate your pain tolerance for so long time. I will advise you to consult good spine surgeon or thoracic surgeon so that he can fix your problem of rib and spine. Surgeries for rib can be difficult due to long time of injury [2 years]. You may need dynamic study of imaging as during movement there can be displacement of ribs leading to pain.2 yrs after injury there can be possibility of arthritis of costochondral junction. Later on follow rehabilitation and physiotherapy. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.