Suggest treatment for atrophic vaginitis

I am in perimenopause and was using a pea-sized amount of Estrace cream nightly for about 3 weeks. It seemed to start healing the external tissues and reduce urinary urgency, but I seemed to have burning at application site (likely from propylene glycol). I've changed to a compounded estradiol suppository - 1 mg - to take 2 times a week. I went about 5 days with no estrace cream before starting the suppository. It does not seem to be helping much yet. Can I use it more frequently to start? How long should it take for improvement in vaginal dryness and urinary urgency? thanks. Oops - I should say that I used the suppository twice so far - once on Thursday night and once last night, with no real improvement noted yet. Can I use it more than twice a week at this dose? How long to feel improvement?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: 4months for full benefits! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this atrophic vaginitis and all the symptoms you have reported. the drug dosage is okay and it seems too early to expect full benefits. It generally takes about 4months to see the full benefits of this. I will suggest that you exercise some patience and give it sometime to work fully. I will not recommend that you increase the frequency right now. This is the recommended dosing plan. I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well and pray that you exercise some patience before we get to evaluate the treatment for possible adjustments if need be.Feel free to ask for more clarifications and information if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.