Suggest treatment for asthma triggered by a cold

ENT Specialist
Hi, my asthma has been triggered by a cold. I've taken several doses of Albuterol over the past 6 hours, but I'm still having trouble catching my breath completely. It's not a full asthma attack and I'm not wheezing. Is there any reason to be concerned, or should I wait for the last dose to kick in?
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: should seek doctors advice. Detailed Answer: Hello Madam, Inhaled albuterol works very quickly. If you have not felt relief after several doses over 6 hrs then it indicates that your asthma medication is not working. The general rule is that if you feel you need more of your asthma medication to treat an attack over 18 hrs then you should meet your doctor immediately because it may be a sign of an impending serious attack. Also Albuterol when administered through metered dose inhaler is generally safe but when administered orally or in nebulised form can produce serious side effects in larger doses. So you most definitely need to see your doctor now. Regards, Dr Rajkishori.