Suggest treatment for arm pain and electrical shock in thumb

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
I had my blood drawn from the bend of my left arm on Friday. When the tech inserted the needle she started repositioning the needle when all of the sudden there was an electric shock that ran down my arm and my thumb shot straight up in the air to the hitch hiking position. I said wow you must of hit a nerve. She said sorry and kept digging. I said stop digging and stick the other arm. Now my arm hurts all the way to my thumb and if I hold my arm straight my thumb has electrical shocks going thru it that are not tolerable. I can't use my thumb to help hold anything either. How long is this going to last? Should I see a doctor? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nerve conduction study and Neurologist's opinion Detailed Answer: Hi, This is an unfortunate accident, rare although. Yes you should see a Doctor. The needle to draw a blood are usually no 23 and thin enough not to cause a major injury to a nerve. Yet it is a better idea to show to a neurologist and get the nerve conduction study ASAP to know the extent of the problems and to start on an appropriate therapy. I hope this will solve very soon, the nerve conduction study will guide further to know the recovery. Please do not try anything at home. Regards,