Suggest treatment for anxiety

I have anxiety in the morning an am taking .5 clonopin. I am menopausal and had a saliva test which showed cortisol of 17 in the a.m. I first wanted to try Bioidentical hormones and the nurse practioner told met o get my cortisol down before . My estradiol is 1.8 and my estrone is 37 and my progesterone is 2430 because I had taken progest. My gyn prescribed hrt but the nurse (homopatheic) who I am going to to get the Bioidentical said it wouldn't help my anxiety. She has prescribed vitamins and cortisol manager to get it down. I am so anxious and want to take HRT because I though it would help.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 1 hour later
Brief Answer: please follow one system of medicine at one time Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for choosing www WWW.WWWW.WW This is quite confusing to me why are you trying two different systems of medicine together. The chances are you will be more harmed than benefitted . Every system has its advantages and disadvantages so combining them is not scientific. Klonopin for anxiety is good but has the potential for dependence so mono therapy may not be a good idea. The better choices could be Desvenlafaxine , ( good for anxiety and menopausal symptoms as well) , SSRI ( Paroxetine , Fluxetine or Fluvoxamine ). The selection of the medicine has to be done after careful evaluation by Psychiatrist. HRT can be quite helpful in eliminating many symptoms like pains, low mood, low energy , sex problems and hot flushes. So you can go ahead for this under supervision of a good Gynecologist. Personally I feel no need for cortisol levels but TSH level may be more helpful because hypothyroidism is quite common. But if you have strong faith in homeopathy, please follow the advice of a qualified homeopath and don't combine the two systems of medicine Good Luck Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for anxiety 2 hours later
I am not taking the HRT because of the bad things I have heard. So I wanted to try the bioidentical creams and this holistic doctor was going to prescribe but wanted to get my cortisol down first. Does HRT help anxiety? My TSH is 3.8
Answered by Dr. Saatiish Jhuntrraa 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Talk to your doctor about HRT Detailed Answer: Hello HRT hasmoregood things than bad one's if taken with due precautions under the guidance of a Gynecologist. The doctor will first get a Pap smear done to rule out Cervical Dysplasia. You can discuss more about the possible harms and benefits with your doctor before you start . Yes, it may be very helpful in anxiety , though not the first line of management , which would be SSRI like Paroxetine orFluoxetine . You need not worry about cortisol level because that is the body's response to external and internal stress. Normally speaking, it is a part of your immune system so it is better to try to reduce stress .Your TSH is normal. Dr Saatiish Jhuntrraa