Suggest treatment for anxiety attacks

I believe I have a problem with anxiety attacks. They started about 20 years back at a time when I was under a lot of stress in school. I would suddenly experience flash backs of something familiar in my recent past, and then I would suddenly become very sick at my stomach, near throwing up. But the attack would pass shortly and I would be okay until the next vision. All that has essentially gone away over the years, with just a brief return at times, but the last few days I have had very severe, almost continuous "visions" or flashbacks of experiences and become very nervous and sick at my stomach. Right now it is not going away. Visions are infrequent, but my stomach is very sick and near throw up at any time. Any comments?? XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Clarifications Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for using health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. However I would require a couple of more details to help you in answering your query in a better justified way. 1. The vesions and situation that you see is the same each time or different? 2. The visuals that you see are of a past trauma or some thing or are they neutral? 3. Have you had any seizure attacks in the past? 4. Any recreational drug use like cannabis? 5. Any accompanied headache along with the visuals? Hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience. Regards and wish you good health, Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD Neuro-Psychiatrist and Sexologist
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for anxiety attacks 18 hours later
Visuals are usually involving past experiences, but recently the episodes can be recent and recognized; however, they are still very uncomfortable and make me very nauseous. These past few days, the thoughts and visions I have can involve anytime, past or present. I have been very sick at my stomach constantly. When visions or thoughts arise, I feel nervous, pressured and chills run up my body. Then the sickness persists. I have not had any seizures, do not take drugs such as hannibus (occasional lorasapam). My flashbacks, or visions, are always different, unless a similar thought expands it somehow.. and can be past or neutral. No headaches. Today, feeling so weakened, I don't want to think about anything, anticipating that about everything will set me off with the usual symptoms and a feeling of a need to vomit. But everything considered, I do feel a little better today. I hope this has helped to improve your understanding. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Panic disorder/ seizure disorder Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the detailed information and that has certainly helped me in understanding you properly. There are two possibilities 1. Panic disorder 2. Seizure disorder If its a panic disorder , this is a disorder of anxiety and occurs cause of imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. especially serotonin, nor adrenaline, and dopamine to some extent. Medicines are the best options to take care of these symptoms. Paroxetine is the the most popular medicine and my drug of choice. I generally prescribe my patients 12.5 mg per day at night which takes care of anxiety symptoms. Also certain medicines like propranolol and clonazepam can be give as required when there is a panic episode or expected situation where panic attack can appear. The other possibility is that it could be a seizure disorder like complex partial seizures. They may also present with thoughts, visuals and stomach complains. The same can be confirmed by doing a sleep EEG. In view of 2 close possibilities, I would advice you to get an EEG. A neurologist will know about this test. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.