Suggest treatment for anxiety and depressive disorder

I have a problem with being lazy and procrastinating. When I start to do something, when I get any forward motion, I feel like crying, like my heart is going to jump out of my chest. Why do I have such anxiety? It keeps me from starting projects.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need attention for anxiety Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 49 year old male • Known case of hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, depression and high cholesterol • Under treatment with lipitor, synthroid, lexapro and avipro • Complaints of: anxiety, lazziness, procastination, crying and severe palpitations leading to occupational problem. Anxiety, lazziness, procastination, crying and severe palpitations are all symptoms of anxiety and depressive disorder, for which you are already on treatment with lexapro. Lexapro contain escitalopram. Its effective dose between 10 and 20 mg. It is good medicine for anxiety and depression. In drug treatment of anxiety and depression two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines (like clonazepam) are used for short duration (due to risk of dependence). For long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like LEXAPRO) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect, till that time benzodiazepines control the anxiety symptoms. All these medicines are prescription medicine and given after in person examination by physician. If lexapro started recently, then you should wait as it take 2-4 weeks to show response. If it is being given in low doses then you can ask your psychiatrist to increase upto 20 mg per day. Same time monitor thyroid function test as its imbalance increases anxiety and prevent medicine response. As you are having severe anxiety symptoms then you can request your psychiatrist to start medicines like clonazepam for 3-4 weeks for immediate benefits in anxiety I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,