Suggest treatment for acute gastritis

Nephrologist
Question
i have been throwing up since the weekend after thanksgiving, no pain just vomiting. they have done an upper endoscopy, a HIDA scan and a gastric emptying scan that are all normal. I also suffer from Meniere's disease. I have never had a food allergy that we know of. I am confused on what to do next
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Acute gastritis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query It looks like you are suffering from acute gastritis which has not been adequately treated. I am happy they have done all the possible tests for you and it has come back as normal. Please get back to me with the following details 1. Do you have giddiness? 2. How many times do you throw up in a day? Is it more in the morning or evenings? 3. Is there a possibility that you might be pregnant? 4. Do you have fever? 5. Is the vomit blood stained? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for acute gastritis 8 minutes later
I have no giddiness. It is more towards the evenings or more as the day goes on. I am not pregnant. There is no fever but I am extremely fatigued, cold, and have low potassium. My thyroid has been checked and it is normal as is my enzymes and liver tests. I throw up anywhere from 1-19 times a day and no blood in it

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Acute gastritis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the reply in detail Since all the blood tests and scans are normal it is possible that you are suffering from acute gastritis. Here are my suggestions to you 1. Tab esomeprazole is the most potent anti gastric medications. I recommend 40 mg twice daily before food. Take one in the morning and one at night 2.A pro kinetic agent should be given to you twice daily. I recommend either mosapride or levolupride twice daily after food. These agents will prevent vomiting 3. Anti emetic agents like ondansetron m d can be put over the tongue each time you have an episode of vomiting ( maximum upto 4 times ) 4. Some dietary modification like avoiding alcohol, coffee , tea oily food, milk and milk products 5. Have smaller meals only if tolerated, semi solid food is the ideal right now I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for acute gastritis 30 minutes later
Can gastritis last 3 months?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 8 hours later
Brief Answer: It can last for 3 months Detailed Answer: Hello Acid peptic diseases are known to last a very long time if it is not adequately treated. Please approach your physician with my recommendation. My patients with similar history like yours have responded very well with this. I hope I was help Regards