Suggest treatment for acne and pimples

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Facial acne and Pimples. Especially on my nose. Nose looks very bad because of acne. I want the face skin and nose skin to be same. Get rid of the acne and pimples.
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Acne Detailed Answer: Hello and Welcome to Healthcaremagic. I am Dr. Kakkar and I have understood your concern Acne is a very common problem in young. Acne commonly involves face, trunk, chest and shoulders (all these areas are rich in sebaceous glands). Treatment of acne required diligence and patience both on the part of the patient and the doctor. General measures to follow: --Use a mild cleanser like cetaphil twice daily. Harsh cleansing causes the skin to become excessively dry which in turn causes rebound oiliness. --Avoid all the regular use creams, moisturisers, sunscreens that you may be using for the time being till you are on anti-acne treatment. --Avoid taking facials. --Avoid picking your acne. Since Acne and seborrheic dermatitis/dandruff are usually associated it is advisable to use an Anti-dandruff shampoo since acne is worsened by dandruff. Specific treatment for acne: --Oral Antibiotics: For inflammatory acne(papules and pustules) I usually advice my patients to start with one of the oral antibiotics like Azithromycin/ Doxycycline/ Minocycline. The antibiotics can be continued for 4-12 weeks depending on the response. --Oral Retinoids: For severe acne OR for acne unresponsive to traditional anti-acne medications, Isotretinoin can be started. It the only drug which offers any chance of long term cure and after a full course of isotretinoin significant number of people never have a recurrence of there acne. It should be taken under the supervision of a dermatologist because of certain lab tests which are to be done before and during treatment with isotretinoin. Topical treatment: Is a valuable adjunct to any form of acne treatment. Mainly two classes of drugs are used topically --Topical Antibacterials: Dermatologists around the world prescribe topical gels/creams containing topical antibiotics like either clindamycin 1%/ benzoyl peroxide 2.5% OR Nadifloxacin during the day time. I would advice you to see a dermatologist and get a prescription out for your problem after having a discussion with him keeping all these points in mind. I am here to help you with any clarifications you desire. take care regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for acne and pimples 2 days later
Thanks Dr Kakkar. Should i continue taking Isotronin 20 under the supervision of dermatologist ? is there any side effects with Isotronin 20 ? Will laser treatment clears acne ? In my case will laser treatment helps in curing completely. As i am getting married in another one year i want my face to be clear before marriage. Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acne Detailed Answer: Hi. Isotretinoin, should be taken only under the supervision of a dermatologist because of certain lab tests which are to be done before and during treatment with isotretinoin e.g Lipid profile and Liver functon tests. In addition to oral retinoids you must also use topical antiacne remedies e.g benzoyl peroxide gel. Most common side effects with isotretinoin are mucocutaneous like cheilitis/dryness of lips, skin dryness etc. They are reversible once the treatment is completed. Laser is not a popular remedy for acne. Laser is utilised mainly for acne scars and post acne redness. regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for acne and pimples 4 minutes later
Thanks Dr. Kakkar. I took Isotronin 20 for 8 months under the supervision of dermatologist and also the lab tests are done before and after treatment. But there was no improvement so i stopped taking tablets. Do you advise me to continue ? How long should i take Isotronin 20? Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acne Detailed Answer: Hi. Total dose of Isotretinoin that should be taken is 120-140mg/kg. For a complete course in e.g a 60 kg man it comes out to be 12 months of 20mg, once daily or 6 months of 20mg, twice daily. The chances of relapse are more likely, if the course is incomplete. In addition to oral retinoids you must also use topical antiacne remedies e.g benzoyl peroxide gel. Repeat course of isotretinoin can be started. regards

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for acne and pimples 3 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr Kakkar. I will continue the course under the supervision of dermatologist and also the topical anti acne remedies. Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are Welcome Detailed Answer: Thanks for posting your query on Healthcaremagic regards