Suggest treatment for acid reflux

ENT Specialist
My wife suffers from acid reflux, she presently use a prescribed locik medication, I think this is the proper spelling, but the affects still exist, a number of alternte herbs and potients are listed on the internet, I am questionable about their use, I consider them only as a scam. Please advise, this condition is severe.
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Reflux can be easily controlled Detailed Answer: Hello sir and thanks for the query, I have not heard of any antacid called locik or loctite in allopathy, may be its a drug used in alternative medicine. Reflux symptoms can be easily controlled with the proper medicines and few general measurse that should be followed daily. First the medicines. Propton pump inhibitors (PPI) are most extensively used all over the world to control acidity. They are very safe and come with minimal side effects. Examples of PPI are omeprazole, lansoprazole, pantoprazole etc. Along with PPI your wife will also need prokinetics. These drugs hasten gastric emptying thereby reducing acid and food that is available for reflux. Example is domperidone, cinitapride. General meausres to be followed are. 1) Eat food in small quatities and frequently. 2) Do not lie down for 2 hours after having food. 3) Practise simple breathing exercises to improve the tone of the sphincter at the lower end of the food pipe. 4) Raise the head end of the bed by placing a XXXXXXX under the head end. If reflux symptoms have been present for a long time then it is advisable to undergo upper GI endoscopy. By undergoing this procedure other coexistant conditions like ulcer, hiatus hernias, oesophagitis and h - pylori infection can be detected. All these can also contribute to the reflux. Not sure about the usefullness of herbs and potions available online. I would not recommend them without a doctors advise. All the best, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for acid reflux 6 hours later
Hi, I am currently using 10mg Losec but still having symptoms but I didn't want to take the 20 mg dose because I want some digestive power in my system. I do have the head of my bed raised, thx. I've been on Losec for 25+ yrs. I was thinking about taking pantoloc or pantoprazole because I thought this would only reduce the acid so that would be healthier. But I haven't tried it yet. Also I'm reading about a miracle cure called Aloecure - found it on the internet- some US company. This medication is produced from the Aloe Vera juice. Does this sound to you like a scam? thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Losec dose is 20 mg Detailed Answer: Hi Mrs XXXXXXX The dose of losec is 20 mg. You should take the proper dose to be benefited. Omeprazole is a safe drug. As i already told you that you should also take a prokinetic along with omeprazole. Domperidone is a good prokinetic. Prokinetics promote emptying if the stomach and hence reduce reflux. You can try pantoprazole, no harm. Losec and pantoprazole are of the same class of antacids. I am sceptical about MIRACLE CURES. I would not suggest you to take it. It may not help you but instead cause harm. I would once again suggest you to meet a gastroenterologist and get an UPPer GI endoscopy done to directly visualise the food pipe and the stomach. Regards, Dr Rajkishori Godhi.