Suggest treatment for acid reflux

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I've just had the most awful acid reflux right into my throat. I felt that I was going to choke and could hardly breathe. I took an antacid and are sipping on a camomile tea. I am already on 40mg of imeprazole daily - is there anything else I can do until I can see my doctor next week?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Repeat the dose of antacid. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. For an immediate relief you can take another dose of antacid with a XXXXXXX warm water till the feeling of choking is gone. Taking sucralfate suspension will also help in reducing the symptoms. Check with your pharmacist about its availability. You can also take some raw egg white for relief. In addition, you also need some strict life style modification like- Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms. If you smoke, stop smoking. Lose weight if needed. Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals. Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal. Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL