Suggest treatment for abscess in gum when suffering from osteoporosis

Hello I have recently had an abscess in my gum and the Dentist is not prepared to do the dental extraction as I am on Fosomax. Had an appointment to have the IV Infusion yearly for treatment of osteoporosis. The dentist stated they would try and get me into specialist early prior to having the IV infusion the apt being the following week as if had had this treatment even the specialist would not do extraction. Unfortunately have to wait 4 weeks for consultation. Cancelled out the Iv infusion apt and have also ceased taking the Fosomax. How long does the Fosomax stay in the system and would this now help with having extractions with no treatment for the osteoporosis?Thanking you XXXX
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: How many teeth to be extracted? Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Osteoporosis makes bones brittle and pliable to undue damage upon force application.Therefore please provide me following details to suggest better in this regard. 1.How many teeth are to be extracted? 2.Is it a firm tooth or loose tooth which is to be extracted? Awaiting response. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for abscess in gum when suffering from osteoporosis 6 hours later
They are looking at the tooth with abscess so one tooth. It is loose.XXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Osteonecrosis Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. It has been found that fosomax causes osteonecrosis as a side effect.Therefore it is advised to wait for around three months or twelve weeks as a precautionary measure before taking up any extraction. Therefore please wait and get clinically evaluated from your dentist before undergoing extractions. In my view it is better to wait in this situation so that further complications can be avoided. Please let me know for further doubts. Thanks. Take care.