Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for UTI

Hello dr. , My father has been suffering from UTI since last one month. Urine culture and other test has already been done. Infection was detected of E. Coli bacteria. His treatment is still going on. Ultrasound has reported grade I Prostratomegaly. His infection got down from 200 to 100 till yet based on the prescription which is going on. Still pus cells are not going reduced below 100. Dr, has said if it will reduce in 15 days from the medicines which he has prescribed, he may have to go for operation. Please suggest.
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: UTI , Nephropathy. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend, Thanks for writing to us. I have studied the prescription and reports of your father. He has UTI , which might be result of Grade 1 prostatomegaly . His cultures are positive for E.coli , which is sensitive to many drugs. Some times urine infection may take time to get treated , so have patience and continue with the antibiotics according to culture report. Another point of concern is that he has nephropathy , his serum creatinine is slightly high , and he has albumin in his urine, which are signs of nephropathy (kidney involvement) However , Albuminuria can occur in infection as well. Cause of this nehropathy can be obstructive due to prostatomegaly , however , that is not just Grade 1. Other thing that you have not mentioned , but i saw on prescription is that , he is Hypertensive. Hypertension can also cause nephropathy. Now , about operation. See , if he gets recurrent UTI , claimed to be due to prostate problem , he might require surgery , but i feel , not now. Sometimes , prostate enlargement is seen on ultrasound due to UTI. It gets corrected when , UTI resolves. It's advisable to keep a watch on Serum Creatinine and nephrotoxic drugs should be avoided. I hope i am able to solve your query , still if you have any query , please ask me.
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for UTI 25 hours later
Dear Dr. Thanks a lot for your kind revert. However I am enclosing the remaining reports received yesterday which I am uploading here. It was told by Dr to my mom that Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is concerned about the reduction of pus cells as it is not getting reduced till yet as per expectation. He has prescribed medicines further for 15 more days. After that based on the condition, opertaion may be advised. I have few queries regarding the same. Request your kind suggestion on the same. My queries are as below. 1- As You have mentioned about Nephropathy, I want to understand how it can be controlled now and even in future. 2-In recent Ultra sound it is written that suspected early bilateral Renal Disease. Whatdoes it mean and how it can be cured? 3- My father's apetite has been reduced a lot. Is it because of infection or may be of any other reasons? Awaiting revert. Thanks and Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Requires further treatment. Detailed Answer: Dear Nidhie , As i told you yesterday that he has developed nephropathy , your recent ultrasound report is suggestive of the same by saying "Bilateral Renal Disease" See Nidhie , as i told you that nephropathy can be because of hypertension or UTI , but it seems it's more because of UTI , as it has developed recently. At present , he requires further treatment of UTI , by appropriate treatment by nepho safe antibiotics , or in modified doses. Keep a watch on Kidney functions , you can't do much at this time , just treating the basic cause will help the kidney's , there is no as such drug , which can help them. Regarding apetite i must say , it can be because of infection as well as because of the antibiotics and can be because of deranging kidney functions. Get his Kidney Function Test repeated , Hemoglobin , Calcium and Phosphorous You may discuss with your doctor about the surgery part , that which surgery he is planning. I suppose , by this time , his fever must have responded. Still if he is febrile , a re-consideration is required. I wish your father a speedy recovery. Nidhie , If you don't have any further query , please close the discussion and rate it.