Suggest treatment for Type 2 diabetes

Hi , I am just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes .. my sugar levels are not very high they are like fasting 110 and after food 145 . Doctors have advised me to control it with exercise and diet . I want to get some aurvedic treatment for it . Want to take advice from some expert docs ..
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 4 hours later
Brief Answer: No proven effects. Detailed Answer: Hello Dr. XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query. Your blood sugar levels are not too high to start any medication, and I am quite frankly surprised to know that you are asking for some ayurvedic treatment for a condition such as diabetes. You say you are a doctor, I hope you do understand the importance of clinical trials that test any medicine for its safety and efficacy. Ayurveda is an outdated system of medicine which is being masqueraded as ancient wisdom. As long as there are no long term studies conducted to test the safety and efficacy of any medicinal products, it is foolhardy to blindly take them, the risk is yours. The basic pathophysiology itself is not explained in ayurveda, for any disease, you get the standard answer that, the diseases are caused by kapha, vata, and pitta.... I for the life of me can't understand how this particular system is still encouraged by the Indian government. Here is a link to one of the ayurveda 'science' on diabetes, you can read it and can decide for yourself how scientific their supposed 'science' is. Please follow your doctor's advice and do regular exercise and follow strict diet. Consume Ragi as much as possible and avoid rice. In your case exercise and diet will be more than sufficient to get your blood sugars under control. Hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask me if you have any further questions. Regards