Suggest treatment for REM behavior disorder

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
for years i screamout at night or when iam lying down i have changed my diet and have cut back on meat and also i am eating gulten free and i am am having only one of these attacks at night instead of having half a dozen in the past nobody could help me also my right leg kicks out i am in my mid 50s i have been seen by a neurologist thanks
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You should be treated. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for your query. You suffer from REM behavior disorder (RBD) Rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, which is associated with dreaming . During this state, the electrical activity of the brain, as recorded by an electroencephalogram, looks similar to the electrical activity that occurs during waking. Clonazepam, a benzodiazapine, curtails or eliminates the disorder about 90% of the time. The advantage of the medication is that people don't usually develop a tolerance for the drug, even over a period of years. However, it's a good idea to make the bedroom a safe environment. Take care of your self