Suggest treatment for Low testosterone level and High TSH level?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
Hello Doctor, Subject : Low testosterone 44 ong/dl and High TSH 3.42 ulu/ml blood reading found in a 15 year old male. Is it related to Anterior Pituary gland stimulation? Blood readings also showed low Vitamin D 16.3 ng/mL This 15 year old male is very energetic and active in sports. Please give me a good suggestion for further treatments. Weight : 133 pounds Height 5 feet 9 Inches. We are redoing the test with Zinc level and estrogen levels and waiting for the blood results.
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Examination by Endocrinologist related investigations Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks fr your query. In the first instance I would like ask- why were the tests done? I mean what are the symptoms the boy has? Growth of pubic, axillary and limb hair are suggestive of a good secondary sexual characters. The boy is very active and energetic. Height and weight are great. somehow all these findings are difficult to fit into the lab reports. I would advise you to take the boy to an Endocrinologist to have a good physical examination including the examination of testes( needs to be palpated for size and typical testicular sensation which only a Doctor can) and conduct / re-conduct the tests as per his advise. He may need an contrasts injection enhanced MRI of pituitary and brain. Your doctor may ask you many questions related to his growth since birth and you may have to strain the memory to remember any childhood problems. All the best and hope the Endocrinologist solves your queries. we would like to know the further course of investigations and treatment. Regards,

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Low testosterone level and High TSH level? 7 hours later
Reason of going to the doctor He looks thin. Less facial hair. His voice has not changed much when compares with his friends. Does MRI causes any radiation? Over all he is a healthy kid. Is it hereditary?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 4 hours later
Brief Answer: MRI- no radiation; can be hereditary. Detailed Answer: Hi. MRI is Magnetic Resonance Imaging and has NO radiation at all. Looking thin and less facial hair can be as per the genetic set-up as you have rightly noted. Voice may not change in many adolescents.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for Low testosterone level and High TSH level? 5 hours later
Hello Doctor, You have mentioned earlier that He may need an contrasts injection enhanced MRI of pituitary and brain. Injection? Could you please make it clear for me?

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Sure. Detailed Answer: HI Gadolinium is the name of injection used as contrast to enhance any abnormality in pituitary and brain. This is given if the Radiologist feels it necessary During the scan.