Suggest treatment for IBS

Hello Dr. Grief: I am 80 yrs female. I have always had IBS. MY stool has pellets in them at the start and then stool becomes normal. Can you help me get rid of them? Thank You
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Diet changes and stress reduction Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing to HCM. I went through your query and undrestood your concerns. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorder, meaning symptoms are caused by changes in how the GI tract works. People with a functional GI disorder have frequent symptoms; however, the GI tract does not become damaged. I usually manage my patients with IBS with combination of these measyres: changes in eating, diet, and nutrition medications probiotics therapies for mental health problems Happy that your symptoms have improved with treatment ,Presence of pellets shows constipation is a predominat symptom in your case.So these are few diet changes helpful to relieve your symptoms. Eating smaller meals more often, or eating smaller portions, may help your symptoms. Eating meals that are low in fat and high in carbohydrates, such as pasta, rice, whole-grain breads and cereals, fruits, and vegetables, may help.Dietary fiber may improve constipation symptoms , although it may not help with reducing pain. Fiber softens stool so it moves smoothly through the colon. So I usually advice to consume 21 to 38 grams of fiber a day.3 Fiber may cause gas and trigger symptoms in some people with IBS. Increasing fiber intake slowly, by 2 to 3 grams a day, may help reduce the risk of increased gas and bloating. Yoga to reduce stress and regular moderate exercise are helpful. You need qualified doctors prescription for probiotic useage. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask further related queries. Wish you a good helth. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for IBS 9 hours later
Dr. Lohit K : Thank you for your excellant explanation, I am very happy for the advice. One question: I feel the pellets are sticking to the colon, will they get loose and stop. Thank you so much. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 22 hours later
Brief Answer: will stop. Plenty of fluids & regular bowel moveme Detailed Answer: Hi XXX Thanks for your reply. The pellets even if sticks to the intestine will not stay there for longer time due to the bowel movements and also secretion from the intestine. These mechanisms helps to keep the colon clean. So no need to worry on this. Keep having plenty of fluids and folow regular bowel movements as this will prevent further formation of hard pellets.. Hope this explains your query. I wish you and your family a very good health. Fell free to ask if any queries. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for IBS 19 days later
Hello Dr. Lohit K: What a nice surprise to hear from you and your concern. Thank you so much. I am still batteling with the pellets in the stool but things have changed. Here is what happens: Begining of stool is the pellets and rest of stool is very normal. I started Metamucil, changed my diet and drink water. Is it my age? I am a female 80 and always had IBS with diarerrha but now it is constipation, but when this started I ignored the symptons till it got very bad, so it is my fault. It has been 18 days since I talked to you. Will these pellets ever stop, otherwise my stool is very normal; I appreciate your help very much
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Complete evacuation, fluids & fiber, activities. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the follow up query. IBS may be diarrhoea dominanat or constipation dominant or combination of both. So now you are suffering from constipation. Since begining of stool are pellets and rest of stool is very normal this suggest dehydration or absorption of water from the stool. The main reason may be prescence of stool in the rectum for prolonged duration. So keep hydrating yourself with plenty of fluids, continue metamucil and every time complete evacuation of stool and engage yourself in some activities through out the day to forget about your bowel problem. These pellets may stop if you follow above said measures. Continue all the measures you are following now. Hope this information helps you. Wish you faster recovery and good health. Regards
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for IBS 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your reply. Situation much much improved. I was reading that maybe an enema would help clean out the pellets. What doyou think? With smile, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: enema: as and when required. not regular basis. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX thanks for writing back. I am very happy that your symptoms have improved. Enema will help in clearing the pellets, but the pellets are formed every day and you can't take enema every day. Enema is to remove pellets which are obstructing and are the cause for constipation. Enema is like as and when required. If it is very difficult to defecate then you can take enema for a time and then again follow the measures I explained before. Hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask if any further query. Wish you good health and happy life. regards