Suggest treatment for IBS

For the past 2/3 years I have been suffering from a gassy, distended belly and constipation. Tested for Celiac, negative, cat scan of abdomen came back negative as well. No food sensitivities or allergies. Take probiotics everyday. Very fit, 22% body fat in great overall health with a recent blood panel which came back within normal range. Was initially put on Linzess to relieve constipation, stayed on it for a year, and all it did was give me diarrhea. Never lessened distended belly. Been on Bentyl (dicyclomide) for about a week now 20mg 4x's day. Also taking colace 3x's day. Bentyl has not relieved this distended belly which is becoming a real nuisance because it looks like I am pregnant. Doc thought this anti spasmodic would help by not allowing my stomach to spasm and trap gas. I am at wits end………..any otc gas med's do not work either. Please help
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Digestive enzymes to be added... Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read your medical data and understood your concerns. The symptoms you are experiencing are related to IBS as long as all the tests you did resulted negative. Furthermore, as you are at the pre/menopausal stage, IBS is aggravated due to hormonal changes at this period of life. Apart the medications you are taking, if I was your caring doctor would add digestive enzymes and simethicoen for up to 4 weeks in order to ease digestion. I advise to: - eat often, small portions and slowly - avoid foods that might cause gas (beans, carbonated drinks, etc) - be more physically active - try stress-relieving techniques to reduce stress/anxiety Hope it was of help! Dr.Klerida