Suggest treatment for IBS with stress

Hello Doctor, Lately I have diagnosis end with IBS. Entire day I feel like urgency for stool. Sometimes it's hard same day it's Watery loss stool. I get nausea feeling and sometimes pain under navel which vanishes with stool and then again comes and goes away. I have a mild pain in the right side of the stomach. I stay very very stressed and always thinking about my disease. Sleeping disturbance, pulse rate has increased. My life is just becoming hell and my job demands travelling. Please help me, what's happening with me.
Posted Tue, 18 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: management of IBS outlined Detailed Answer: Hello, I am sorry about your current health condition. This may be disturbing your routine life. Let me tell you in the beginning that IBS needs to be managed with psychological support and dietary measures on a long term basis. Medications are to be used only for the symptoms that you develop like pain and loose stools. You seem to be undergoing a lot of stress in your work-life area. The urgency is passage of stool and the alternating hard and loose stools are due to the increased responsiveness of the intestines to the stress. Nausea and pain are also features of IBS as you know. Here are my suggestions to you: - It is of utmost importance to get rid of the stress first to be able to manage your disease well. Please remove all your thinking about the disease. Since there is no organic pathology, your life expectancy would be same as any other person. - Sleep adequately. - Stop worrying about anything that disturbs you. Practice some relaxation techniques. - Avoid coffee, quit smoking (if you do), avoid alcohol, avoid spicy food. - Avoid traveling frequently as well as you tend to eat food from outside that may irritate the intestines. - Increase your fibre intake in food like fruits and vegetables. - You could seek the help of a counsellor to talk about your worries and stress. You could consult a psychiatrist as well. - You need to be in regular follow up with your doctor so that your doctor and you are both aware of the disease progression. The problem is in your lifestyle. When you make these lifestyle changes, you would be symptom free of IBS. There are several medications available for treatment of IBS. You could try anti-diarrhoeals, anti-cholinergics, TCAs, laxatives depending on your need. If need be, you can be prescribed these. Hope this helps you. Regards,