Suggest treatment for Attention Deficit Disorder

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I have been diagnoised as bipolar and am on Prozac and a mood stabilizer. I have been so fatiquied that I quit my mood stabilizer. I have had a little more energy but I am just having trouble staying focused and my mind seems to jump from one thought to another. I just wondering if something like adderal would help me. I do not need anything else to slow me down. I need energy.
Posted Tue, 25 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Adderall is unlikely to help. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! Adderall improves concentration in people who have Attention Deficit Disorder, both children and adults. Adults with ADD are those who had it as children and did not grow out of it on reaching adulthood. It will not benefit loss of concentration due to other reasons. Your present problem in staying focused and the tendency of your mind to jump from one thought to the other is most probably due to your current mood state. Stopping the mood stabilizer in spite of being on an antidepressant can cause a switch to a manic or hypomanic state. Please be careful as the distractibility that you have described is one of the features of mania/hypomania. I feel that you should resume your mood stabilizer immediately to prevent progression to full blown mania. I know that you may not like what I written, but I have done so with your best interests at heart. Please feel free to ask in case you need any clarifications. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry