Suggest treatment and prevention of sore throat

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
I used to suffer from cold very frequently, even i preventing myself to have cold eatables like soft drinks, cold coffee etc. Now the problem is, how do I take care of myself so that I can make distance from throat infection, cold types of problems? I am still suffering from throat infection, its hard to talk with somebody. Please suggest me possitively.
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: take care Detailed Answer: hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon who will try to help you out with your concerns. There are some things I would like to share with you in an effort to help you- -At the offset let me tell you that cold or infections are something which everyone can get and they are ways in which we develop immunity. -In addition to that infections are most of the time self limiting and viral and all that they require is plenty of u fluids and rest. -If someone can tell you how to perfectly prevent infection then there would be no one who will get infection and it will be a perfect world! This is of course not possible but we can do some general things by which we can prevent catching a cold and treating one. -avoid anything cold including water and do not take refrigerated items -take only warm water and food -avoid head bath everyday and take bath only with warm water -take steam inhalation whenever possible and also for now -do not strain when you speak now as you have infection and also this will delay the recovery. -If you are getting recurrent infection then you must get a complete examination of your blood profile and also consult an ENT who can rule out common causes such as tonsils, sinus problems and offer you permanent cure for the same. -do not get direct exposure to the blast of AC or fan -make sure you clean the AC Filters as regularly as possible -do not sit in the window seats of vehicles in which you travel regularly -Take plenty of green leafy vegetables which you are tolerant to in your diet and have a healthy balanced and regular diet -go for brisk walk and regular exercise so that your body will be physically strong to handle any infection -Try relaxation techniques like yoga or meditation which can make you mentally strong for the same. -Try to avoid direct contact with people who are suffering from cold or any respiratory infection. This is the best and most effective method. These are a few things which can make sure you will be in a better position to avoid catching cold but none of them are foolproof. Hope this helps and if you have any other doubts you may ask me regards Dr Sriram Nathan