Suggest treatmemnt for constipation

Emergency Medicine Specialist
My 3 year old grandson can become constipated overnight and it's very hard to get him going again. The doctor prescribed 2 tsp miralax a day and that didn't work so upped it to 2 tsp twice a day. That doesn't always work and when he goes into constipation mode they add fletchers castoria right away and when that doesn't work they add 15 ml of milk of magnesia and usually that takes 3 days to get him to have a bowel movement and he is miserable most of that time until he finally goes. He just got over a bout of constipation and to keep him going his parents are giving him miralax twice a day and 1 tsp fletchers to see if they can get him regulated. He did have another good bowel movement today so this is progress. The doctor told them that when he got regular to take away one thing at a time to get him on the least amount of medicine it takes to keep him regular because at this point they just want to keep him going as they took x-rays about 6 weeks ago and his bowel was completely full. He does get plenty of fiber and fluid in his diet so it's not that. What do you think about this and do you think it's okay to give him a tsp of fletchers a day until he gets regulated or would you recommend something else? They've also used Pedia-lax and that helped for awhile but then quit helping. Thank you for your help..XXXX
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Avoid too many of medicines. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing your query. After reading your post, I would like to advise that Fletchers contains senna which can be habit forming, ig given for long durations. Instead you can use pediatric glycerine suppositories to be applied per anal. Increase the fiber and water intake. Also do a deworming by Albendazole, if not done already. I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help. Thanks.
Follow-up: Suggest treatmemnt for constipation 15 hours later
They have used the glycerin suppositories and they didn't work. The only thing they did is make him freak out about wiping his bottom because he was afraid they were going to use them again. They have increased the fiber and water intake and that didn't help either. He drinks lots of water and eats lots of fruit and they also gave him benefiber The only thing that works is miralax if they add the fletchers. It's kind of a vicious circle. Is it possible that since his bowels were full and may still not be at what is considered normal healthy, that they will be able to wean him off of the fletchers?
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 10 hours later
Brief Answer: First the bowels should be empty. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for providing more information. I would advise that first the bowels should be emptied and then the medicines should be gradually withdrawn. Also get him examined by a Gastroentologist to know the cause of decreased intestinal motility. I hope this answers your query. If you have any further doubts, please mention. Thanks.
Follow-up: Suggest treatmemnt for constipation 19 hours later
Yes, this does help. Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue management as advised. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your response. I wish him good health. Regards.