Suggest topical antibiotic for an emergency medical kit

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
ok I am trying to build a medic kit for emergencies. what do I use for general topical antibiotic?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Accident and Emergency

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use neosporin cream / Betadine ointment.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
In my opinion you can use Neosporin cream or betadine Ointment as general topical antibiotic. Neosporin is time tested and betadine ointment/ Lotion are very effective.
Thanx for the question.

Follow-up: Suggest topical antibiotic for an emergency medical kit 21 minutes later
I'm contemplating a world where MDs and antibiotic pills or drips are hard to come by and want to give my paramedic, PA, RN or whatever is available a decent chance of patching a gash or puncture without killing the patient. irrigation becomes one of very few options doesn't it? besides BZK how many gallons of Betadine do I set aside for a dozen people? is Triclosan any use? at what concentration? Hexaclorophene? anyplace to get reliable info on " milk of the poppy"? remember we're not doing any of this while there is still an infrastructure and a working hospital system.the neosporin in petroleum jelly? do you know what the shelf-life is? at 60-70 deg.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
In my opinion topical antibiotics are used only in the form of dressings. They can not replace antibiotic therapy where it may be required.
Though I find that your goal is noble , but I would recommend topical antibiotic solutions only in badly contaminated wounds which might also require surgery.
Triclosan is not used alone as antiseptic lotion, used in small quantities in toothpaste etc.
The shelf life of any topical antiseptic lotion / cream /ointment( it is called antiseptic and not antibiotic) is one -two years depending on the manufacturer.
Hexachlorphane is not used now a days in surgical practice because of residues and only 65% effectivity.
I have no idea about milk of XXXXXXX
Thanx