Suggest the treatment for swollen legs

My wife has had continued trouble with swollen legs. She has been recommended and purchased tight stockings,She still has trouble, and thinks they are too tight. A doctor’s recommendation has been told to keep her legs up above her heart, which she does not have success with. Is there some regular treatment which can be applied to remedy her swollen legs, such as tablets or cream to rub with. She is looking for a permanent solution, apart from operations. Please assist. She is aged 82, and she is permanently retired.,a and on a pension. Thank you. Regards, Hec.
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Sir , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking ito your problem I would like to tell you that your doctor was right in advising you to keep your legs above your heart level . Any treatment for swollen legs depends upon the cause , like say if it due to heart failure then diuretics can be prescribed , if it is due to varicose veins stalkings and surgery will be needed . Considering her age I would tell you to go for more conservative management . Try limiting fluid intake to 1.5 lts / day and keeping legs above her heart level by using a pillow . Avoid prolonged standing . Follow your treating doctors advise as he is the best judge of your situation . Take care. Dr. Shruti