Suggest the treatment for cough with blood. Should I seek medical attention?

Mar 2013
I am 67 year old male
I am under treatment for cough with blood. Today I got my haemoglobin checked which was 10.2 gm%. Is this an emergency situation?
Please advise.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,
Thank you , Sir, for trusting us with your health concern.
I have gone through your query, and I understand that the basic lesion causing the fall in hemoglobin ( due to hemoptysis - coughing up blood ) is the solitary lesion in the right upper lobe of the lung, for which surgery has been eventually planned.
The normal reference range for hemoglobin for males is 13.5 to 17.5 grams %.
Hence the level of 10.2 places you in the range for Anemia.
To answer your question, IT IS NOT AN EMERGENCY.
It is not severe anemia, but anemia definitely.
Since you are not facing ongoing ( current ) blood loss, you should consult your doctor for this report, and you would be prescribed iron supplements to build up your hemoglobin levels back to normal in a few months' time.
Meanwhile, hemoglobin is made up of heme ( iron part ) and globin ( protein part ).
Include both in your diet.
If you are a nonvegetarian, sources of heme include - red meat, liver, bone marrow.
If vegetarian, good sources are spinach, fenugreek, beetroot, green leafy vegetables, nuts, grains.
Good sources of protein are - chicken, egg, milk, tofu, paneer ( cottage cheese ), dal ( all kinds of lentils ) etc.
Do not worry and mention this to your doctor in your coming appointment.
All the best, and please feel free to discuss further.
I hope this answer helped you.
Good luck and wishing you good health aways.