Suggest the treatment for asthma control without corticosteroid?

What can I use for asthma control that does not also require a corticosteroid? I have lived with asthma for about 80years without medication problems but every corticosteroid I've taken causes an unendurable dry cough.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take Monteleukast tablet or salbutamol inhaler.

Detailed Answer:

Since you have had asthma for a good part of your life, you must be aware that corticosteroids are the mainstay of treatment of asthma. To avoid the side effects of long term use of steroids they are generally given in inhaled form which have minimal side effects.

Having said that, i do agree with you that at times a person can have cough with steroids. You have not mentioned if you develop cough with any form of steroids(oral and inhaled) or it is only when you take the inhalers you develop cough because inhalers are known to cause cough in some individuals.

You may try taking antileukotreins like monteleukast. It can be taken by itself or in combination with levocetrizine.

If you tolerate inhalers than you may try non steroid inhalers like levoasalbutamol or terbutalin.

Another inhaler that is available for asthma is Tiova which can be taken alone or combined with salbutamol/levosalbutamol.

If symptoms are little more severe you may try taking doxophyllin after consulting your physician.

If you are not tolerating only the inhaled steroids, i suggest you may take oral steroids in minimal effective dose. You may consult your physician who will help you in arriving at this minimal effective dosage.

I do hope this answers your query.