Suggest the solution to increase the White Blood cell count?

I had a two part question and you answered one of my least concerns. review question and complete the service for which thanks. Wanted to know especilallu what one can do to pep up the WBC which are low; --read my question again. XXXXXXX .
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some general measures to improve WBC count

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for consulting us.
There are many dietary & lifestyle modification which have been suggested to increase the white blood cell count like consuming enough folic acid (found in foods like spinach, citrus fruits, and certain beans). One can also take supplements.
Green tea and other antioxidants may also have a positive effect.
Eating adequate amount of proteins is another possible way to get an improvement meat, eggs, cheese, and soy products are all good sources.
Vegetables e.g. broccoli, lettuce, fruits e.g. apples, oranges, whole grains and beans may also help improve the WBC count. These foods have phytochemicals which may improve your immune system.
Other foods that can increase your white blood cell count could be garlic, oysters, pumpkin, carrots, melon, oranges, milk and strawberries.
Mental & physical rest, taking a healthy & balanced diet & taking multivitamin supplements may also prove helpful.
In other words, all foods containing beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C, zinc, selenium, etc., may help in increasing white blood cell count naturally.
In addition restricting sugar-rich foods and fats, is likely to be helpful.
An active lifestyle is also very important . Stress should be avoided as much as possible.
I have listed some of the general measures you may take to help improve your WBC count. However, you must understand that these are not an alternative of a proper consultation with a doctor, which is strongly recommended in this case, as a low WBC count may indicate & could be a presenting feature of many medical conditions that need proper diagnosis & specific treatment. So, you must have a full work up to find out a cause first & to rule out any underlying pathology.
Certain medicines may also cause a decline in white blood cell count discontinuing their use may cause a significant rise in the WBC count. Again review by a doctor is vital.
Similarly, chemotherapy and radiation therapy may be a possible cause. Delaying treatment may prove beneficial.
White blood cell transfusion is a possible but risky way to improve the count, so, used only rarely.
Hope I have given you the desired information.
Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Suggest the solution to increase the White Blood cell count? 8 hours later
JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT DR/ QUIRESHI'S ANSWER TO MY QUESTION AND CONCERNS WAS GREAT. I WANT TO THANK HIM TEN-FOLD. WILL USE YOUR SERVICES MORE AND MORE IF THAT'S THE WAY I GET TREATED. XXXXXXX C. SACCO, CSA (CERT. XXXXXXX ADVISOR). Sorry to have in my last communication addressed Dr. Quireshi as male. Sorry, mam. I am XXXXXXX Sacco. Had a blood count report that showed my RBC to be at 2.24 and my hemoglobin at 12.7 and my hematocrit at 36.1 ALL LOW. Please let me how I can bring up my RBC and the others back to normal. I am 70 yrs. old and take no medicines. Did Dr, Quireshi get my question about my low blood count RBC and how I should address it. ???? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Increase intake of folic acid, iron, Vitamin B 12

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your appreciation & very sorry for a late response.
Let me tell you that there is some variation in the normal ranges of different blood parameters when we compare reports from different labs.
Most labs will take this Haemoglobin level to be normal or borderline low. Haematocrit is low but may be within the lower normal limits of some labs. Your RBC count is definitely very low.
I am not aware of your medical history or any physical problem you are suffering from but still I can suggest you to repeat your complete blood count again preferably from a different lab & consult a physician for a complete systemic review, which is not possible online. I have mentioned earlier that sometimes these minor changes in blood parameters may prove to be the early signs of some hidden underlying problems.
Now, coming back to your question, Again a combination of folic acid, Vitamin B 12, Iron & Vitamin C may improve these parameters if dietary deficiency is the cause ( This should be a diagnosis after excluding other serious causes).
You may take them as supplements or by increasing the intake of their dietary sources.
Hope I have made my point clear. Please write back if you want to discuss this further.
Warm regards.