Suggest the remedy for dandruff and hair fall problem

Dec 2013

Hi, I have a itchy scalp and loosing hair and see lot of dandruff in the hair. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly see the detailed mail Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare magic. I can understand your concern for itchy scalp, loss of hair and dandruff. All of these conditions are some what interrelated. Specifically speaking itchy scalp and dandruff are interrelated to each other. Before I proceed to your issue let me explain you elaborately regarding dandruff. Scientifically and medically our skin is a multiple layered structure. Our skin gets renewed every day. The layer which is present on the top today will be fallen off tomorrow. It will not be present tomorrow and would be dead skin in form of scales. This process is not actually visible on normally. So we can say we are just one day old from our skin present most superficially. Now in some persons it is renewed at a faster pace. Because of hygiene and scalp hair this dead skin in form of scales gets entangled and trapped in form of visible of scales known as dandruff. It varies from person to person and also on other of factors which makes the difference inter-individually. Coming on to your problem which is scientifically known as “pityriasis capitis” is highest in twenties and then recedes by itself in later part of life. It is due to the fact that the renewal of skin and the fatty acid secretion in scalp is highest at this part of life. There are no such important predisposing factors except for few which can make the situation worsened such as individual's own tendency to renew the skin, application of hair oil and environmental factors. We can not change our own tendency to renew the skin but the personal measures of hygiene as well as the environmental factors can be modified. It then causes itching of the scalp and related problem of hair fall too. It will definitely help us if we take care of dandruff on its best. For the remedy part follow the things below: 1.Wash your scalp daily. I guide my patients to wash twice in a single bath. It means when you are washing your scalp apply first time shampoo for washing the hair part only, then rinse it off immediately with water. Reapply the shampoo again immediately, leave it for around 5 minutes, do a good gentle massage by your fingers for around 2 minutes and then wash it off. By doing so for around 7 days you will get good benefit. 2. Stick to one good shampoo which is suiting your hair, don’t change the shampoos frequently. If you are using any conditioner also then to be used over the strands of hair only and not over the scalp skin. There is no difference of shampoos, the only part is to use good company shampoos. If the dandruff is too high then you can use any medicated shampoo containing Ketoconazole in it. 3.Do not use any kind of hair oil or any oily or creamy stuff any time on your scalp. 4.Comb your hair at least 3-4 times a day and most importantly at night time so that the dust particle and other of dead skin is taken off. So for betterment of high oil secretion the only good solution is daily washing with any good shampoo. Reduce your exposure to hot and humid climate with any consumption of spicy food. FOR THE PART OF HAIR FALL: It is quite common to find hair fall in men due to multiple reasons But most common of it is known as "male pattern baldness" is in young men like you. I can see you are a young man of 30 years. So it is quite obvious that you can have this problem of hair fall because of hormonal influence. Other than male pattern baldness there can be falling of hair all over the scalp because of local factors such dandruff and poor scalp hygiene. It can occur after simple stress and improper diet too!!!. So you should eat healthiest of diet. For the betterment kindly follow the suggestions below: 1. Eat at least 3-4 different fruits saplings per day. Every fruit is good but you can make a combination of sour with sweet fruits such as oranges, papaya and other of seasonal fruits. 2. Pulses are good source of proteins. So everyday have a small bowel full of mixed pulses. Add green leafy vegetables additionally in the pulses which contains lot of iron and vitamins in it. 3. Sprouts are the best source of fibers, minerals especially iron, vitamins and proteins too. so add it at-least alternate day if you can not make in every-day's part of meal. 4. Over night soaked and peeled almonds will give you good vitamin E which is good for the hair growth. 5. Milk and milk products should be included in every-day's schedule. 6.Do light exercises, reduce your work stress as all these have bit impact on skin so also on scalp skin. 7.Stop any substance abuse such as smoking and alcohol if any!! I hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be glad to help. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)