Suggest the precautions to be taken for maintaining normal blood pressure and sugar levels

Hi, My mother is having high blood sugar levels. It started in July , 2010 when we identified it first. After taking the medicines prescribed by our family doctor the sugar levels were normal(Fasting-110,post lunch-140). Recently we are observing sugar levels a bit high ( Fasting 170,post lunch -200). Currently am using Accucheck to test the blood sugar levels. She is following strict diet as suggested by the ditecian. We could not get the exact reason of showing high blood sugars. She is taking medicines of Blood pressure also. However Blood pressure is normal 125/95 as per the recent report. For you reference Below are the tablets she is taking daily. Could you please provide your suggetions to keep up the normal BP and sugar levels Thanks XXXX
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Type II diabetes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Hypertensives(High blood pressure) patients in the long run are prone to develop Diabetes. Because this are all components of metabolic syndrome. Fasting blood sugar more than 126 mg/dl and Postprandial blood sugar more than 200 mg/dl is diagnostic of overt diabetes. In a diabetic on diet, exercise and medicine the FBS should be maintained below 110 mg/dl and PPBS below 160 mg/dl. As for the present blood sugar levels, the fasting and PPBS values are very high and as to be controlled. In this situation I would advice my patient the following. Add a dose of Voglibose tablet with every meal. This is a medicine which helps to reduce the blood sugar by reducing the absorption glucose from the intestinal follow a meal. Continue Glucored forte and blood pressure medicine. Check the blood sugars and HbA1c test after one month. HbA1c should be between 6 to 7 %. It me know the value to see how your mother is responding to the treatment. Other general advice are salt restricted diet, increase fibers(Green leafy vegetables, vegetables), lower carbohydrate(whole grains, atta) and low fatty. Exercise: Brisk walking for 45 min for 5 days a week. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know it there is any clarification. regards.
Follow-up: Suggest the precautions to be taken for maintaining normal blood pressure and sugar levels 14 hours later
Many Thanks Dr. Basheer Ahamed. Will follow your valuble suggestions and let you know the updates. Is checking blood sugar using Accucheck is suggestable or do we need to go to diagnostic center only to check the blood sugar levels? And also My mother complains that she could not sleep in the nights. I presume this is due to blood pressure only. What do you suggest as a remedy for sleeplessness. Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: Regarding Glucometer. Detailed Answer: Hello, Glucometer is recommended to monitor the blood sugar in diabetes who are on insulin therapy when it is more important to detect hypoglycemia than hyperglycemia. I advise is that you can use glucometer to monitor your mother's blood sugar but this is not a substitute to lab testing. Lab tests should be done once in a month or once in three months depending on the control of blood sugar. It is known that some suffer from insomnia in elderly diabetic and hypertensives. The commonest reasons are day sleeping, stress etc.. Consult your doctor to evaluate for any sign of depression, stress. He may prescribe drugs to reduce depression and improve the quality of sleep. Restrict day sleep if any to 1 hr and it should not exceed 2 hrs. Regards.
Follow-up: Suggest the precautions to be taken for maintaining normal blood pressure and sugar levels 1 hour later
Hello Dr. Basheer Ahamed Many thanks for the quick reply.Will update you soon on the results. Thanks XXXX
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello, You're most welcome. Regards.