Suggest the medication for one side headache

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
hi I have been having terrible headaches for a while now... every time it comes it lasts from days to weeks. its usually one side of the head... I haven't taken any medication... what do u suggest I do?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Indicative of Tension headache Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your query. In your post, you have not mentioned about any history of cold, cough, systemic illness like Diabetes, Hypertension, Hypo/Hyperthyroidism or any associated symptoms like nausea, blurring of vision, intolerance to bright light, etc. Under such circumstances, the symptoms as mentioned in your post indicates towards Tension headache. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by taking analgesics like Paracetamol or Ibuprofen (Advil) to be taken after food & application of ice over the affected area. If you still find any difficulty, kindly get certain investigations like complete blood count, estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels and Thyroid profile to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms. A CT scan or MRI of brain will also be helpful. Till then, maintain adequate hydration & nutrition status, avoid stress, exercise regularly & practice meditation. Wishing you a Good Health. Please let me know if I need to clarify further. Take care.

Follow-up: Suggest the medication for one side headache 21 minutes later
hi doctor, no I don't have those symptoms which u mentioned cold, diabetes, nauseau etc...its jus the haeadache. its mostly a pounding feeling in the head or a sharp shoot of pain. would u then still recommend those tests? thanks

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 26 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly view the details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for your follow up query. I have gone through the case history as mentioned in your post. Based on that, your symptoms can be attributed to either tension headache or neurological pain (due to involvement of the nerve supplying that region) The investigations (like complete blood count, estimation of blood pressure & blood sugar levels and Thyroid profile) are basic investigations & will be helpful to rule out any pathological cause for the symptoms. In case of tension headache, relief can be obtained with intake of medications as mentioned in my previous answer & avoiding stress. Otherwise, it will be better to consult a Neurologist & get a proper clinical examination done to rule out any neurological cause. The decision of CT scan or MRI brain can be taken after the clinical examination. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.