Suggest the medication for insomnia? Also indicate the medicines for boosting energy?

1. What can I take that's cheap and safe for insomnia i.e one pill and out for 8 hour.

2. What can I take to boost attitude and energy so I can get some work done?

I'm 64, in ok shape and not liking the getting old part of life.

Thanks in advance for input----XXXX
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Insomnia treatment depend on the cause of the insomnia.
Common causes of insomnia in your case may be:
-Poor sleep hygiene
-Excessive stress
-Substance use if present
-Primary insomnia

As you mentioned about low energy/attitude then there is need to rule out anxiety and depression in your case. Common symptoms of anxiety and depression are:
anxiety, low mood, decrease talk and interaction with others, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, negative thinking, palpitation and dry mouth.

Let me know if you are having some of the above symptoms with duration.

Irrespective of cause, below principles of sleep hygiene which will help you in long term:
•     Fix a bedtime and an awakening time. Do not be one of those people who allows bedtime and awakening time to drift. The body "gets used" to falling asleep at a certain time, but only if this is relatively fixed. Even if you are retired or not working, this is an essential component of good sleeping habits.
•     Avoid napping during the day
•     Avoid caffeine 4-6 hours before bedtime. This includes caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate, so be careful.
•     Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4-6 hours before bedtime
•     Exercise regularly, but not right before bed. Regular exercise, particularly in the afternoon, can help deepen sleep.
•     Use comfortable bedding.
•     Find a comfortable temperature setting for sleeping and keep the room well ventilated.
•     Block out all distracting noise, and eliminate as much light as possible.
•     Reserve the bed for sleep. Don't use the bed as an office, workroom or recreation room. Let your body "know" that the bed is associated with sleeping.
•     Practice relaxation techniques before bed. Relaxation techniques such as yoga, deep breathing and others may help relieve anxiety and reduce muscle tension.
•     Don't take your worries to bed. Leave your worries about job, school, daily life, etc., behind when you go to bed. Some people find it useful to assign a "worry period" during the evening or late afternoon to deal with these issues.
•     Establish a pre-sleep ritual. Pre-sleep rituals, such as a warm bath or a few minutes of reading, can help you sleep.
•     Getting Up in the Middle of the Night :Most people wake up one or two times a night for various reasons. If you find that you get up in the middle of night and cannot get back to sleep within 15-20 minutes, then do not remain in the bed "trying hard" to sleep. Get out of bed. Leave the bedroom. Read, have a light snack, do some quiet activity, or take a bath. You will generally find that you can get back to sleep 20 minutes or so later. Do not perform challenging or engaging activity such as office work, housework, etc. Do not watch television.
•     A Word About Television: Many people fall asleep with the television on in their room. Watching television before bedtime is often a bad idea. Television is a very engaging medium that tends to keep people up. We generally recommend that the television not be in the bedroom. At the appropriate bedtime, the TV should be turned off and the patient should go to bed. Some people find that the radio helps them go to sleep. Since radio is a less engaging medium than TV, this is probably a good idea.

Commonly used safe medicine to regulate sleep cycle is: Agomelatine 25mg which you can after prescription from physician.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Suggest the medication for insomnia? Also indicate the medicines for boosting energy? 4 hours later
Your answer, while infomative, was for me worthless.Lots of niceties (yet impracticle for me) for sleep, but nothing for motivation and energy to get work done around the house. Being 64, retired, I still have routine projects that need to be done around the house and yard, yet I can't seem to muster the motivation, desire, or energy to do them. When I do the work needed it's by shear "brute force" of mind over lack of interest. I used to enjoy getting outside and getting my hands dirty and break a sweat, now I just don't care if things get done-I have to force myself to mow the yard, paint, fix things, or other maintenance items. I can't afford to hire someone to do these things for and they would probably screw it up anyway leaving me to re-do the work.

So what have you got for "attitude adjsutment" in this area? A mood/energy booster pill would be nice, but I don't think there is one (energy drinks from the store don't work). Please don't suggest a "low T" under arm snake oil as the are too many risky side effects to that stuff and I won't risk the side effects.

Thanks in advance for your input. XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 15 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Above mentioned steps are standard steps of sleep hygiene in form of lifestyle modification, and helpful in any kind of insomnia.

You can also opt for medical management, after prescription from physician.

Wish you good health.