Suggest the medication for dry cough

Hi i am having dry cough from 3-4 days. Please suggest me some medicine. The duration of your problem/symptoms : 3 -4 days The frequency with which your symptoms occur : 2-3 months
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX From your description it seems that you have recurrent dry cough that lasts for 3 - 4 days and occurs every 2 - 3 months. Dry cough usually results from some irritant like dust, gastroesophageal reflux, season change, excessive or loud talking (for example in teachers), etc. Treatment may include cough syrup as required along with voice rest, saline gargles, lime water, drinking pure water, etc. If runny nose, sneezing is present then should take anti-allergics like cetirizine etc. Otherwise taking care of the cough will help deal with the symptoms. The cough syrup that can be tried is Ascoril-D syrup 1 tablespoon once or twice a day. It should be taken only if symptom of cough is present. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee