Suggest some suitable diet plan to reduce the weight

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Want to know the diet for me. Please let me know the suitable diet information to reduce my weight.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Grace Abraham 44 hours later
Hi Vanapalli,

Thanks for posting your Query.

It is necessary for diet modifications and lifestyle changes in order to reduce your weight. Your diet should be high in fiber, which includes complex carbohydrate XXXXXX foods and low in fat. Include more of raw fruits and vegetables in the diet , avoid saturated fats and oily fried food stuffs. Keep yourself much hydrated, take at least 3-4 litres of water every day.
The following some steps which will help,
1. Instead of the traditional 3 meals a day, eat only when you are actually hungry, and eat what you like but try to be healthy. Avoid eating anything 3 hours before sleeping.
2. Avoid chocolate, cake, brownies, potato chips, ice cream, fizzy drinks or any junk food.
3. Never starve yourself. It shuts down your metabolism which is a major process to help you lose weight. It also makes you feel woozy, tired, and makes you hungrier and your weight-loss plan unsustainable.
4. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, especially if you feel like snacking or for dessert. Note that some plants such as corns, avocado, banana, coconut, contain much higher calories than others. You don't need to avoid all the high calories plants but just don't think you can eat them as much as you want.
5. Aim to eat 'good carbs (Carbohydrates)' (which have a low glycemic index) such as brown rice, oats, whole-wheat bread and whole-wheat pasta. Try not to have carbs after 5pm as any unused carbs will likely be stored as fat overnight, negating your morning bike session.
6. Don’t forget about exercising!
7. Eat breakfast each morning. Eating something in the morning gets your metabolism going and prevents you from binge eating later in the day.
8. Drink plenty of water, and cut down on carbonated beverages, particularly those with a lot of sugar. Try to not drink any soda.

Along with diet modifications, a minimun 30-45 minutes brisk walk or physical activity of moderate intensity which improves overall health. Include 'Warm-up' and 'cool-down'periods, before and after the exercise regimen. Forty-five minutes per day of moderate intensity physical activity provide many health benefits.

Hope I answered your query.

Grace Abraham
Follow-up: Suggest some suitable diet plan to reduce the weight 19 hours later

So, When it comes to food, we usually eat rice as dinner (last 26+ years), do i need to stop eating and take chapati instead or something else.

Please advice.

Thanks, XXXXXX
Answered by Grace Abraham 28 hours later

Rice is not recommended to be taken during dinner as it is a simple carbohydrate and it can be easily converted into fat in the body. After dinner when there is no physical activity, the chances of conversion into fat are higher when compared to other times. So generally we suggest that a very light dinner with fibre XXXXXX products that fills your stomach and delays digestion - so that you won't feel hungry till morning.

Include complex carbohydrate foods such as wheat, ragi, jowar or broken wheat which can be used in any preparation for dinner. Any rice preparation like idli, dosa, idappam or appam to be avoided during dinner for weight reduction.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Grace Abraham.
Follow-up: Suggest some suitable diet plan to reduce the weight 13 hours later
Can i eat raagi for lunch and dinner daily? will there be any side effects?

Answered by Grace Abraham 35 hours later

Ragi is high in calcium and also in fiber. You can take ragi once daily to XXXXXX the calcium requirement. It also aids in weight loss since it is high in fiber.
There are no side effects reported as of now, but if the intake of water is low, then there are chances of stone formation in the kidney, which are very rare. So make sure you have plenty of water alongside.

Grace Abraham.