Suggest some medicine or exercise to gain weight

Mar 2016

I am 31yrs old, with height of 5"7ft and with 60 kilos. I want to put on weight, according to my friends, colleagues me looking lean and thin. Please suggest me what should I do naturally to put on weight.
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

Gaining weight is quite difficult, particularly among those who are naturally and genetically lean & thin.

Your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 20.76 that is quite good and indicates normal weight. yAtour height,standard weight of an Indian man is 64-68 kg and in that sense, your weight is almost 4 kg short.

There are certain conditions associated with weight loss like Malabsorption syndrome of gastrointestinal tract, depression/stress/anxiety, intestinal worms, hyperthyroidism/ GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disorder) / Chronic illness, Smoking for long period etc. These should be ruled out through proper history taking (social/ family), Clinical examination and Laboratory investigation (complete blood count or Vitamin B12 assay,Thyroid profile etc). Please see a physician if you do have any of these symptoms.

For proper weight gain good balanced diet with fruits, leafy vegetables, high protein substance,Cereals, healthy fat contained food stuff etc are required on daily basis. Also regular exercise is needed like swimming/running /cycling.

Follow some basic guidelines that can help you to gain weight:

1) Healthy breakfast with a glass of milk and a banana/dry fruits.
2) Take high calorie food stuff (plant fat) like nuts, peanuts, avocados, seeds, almond butter,sunflower oil are great sources of healthy fats with nutrients.
3) Take frequent small meals every 3 hours and 6-8 meals are maximum in a day.
4) Intake of high protein diet by means fish,chicken,mutton 3-4 days per week or take a protein supplement health drink 2-3 times daily.
5) Eat vitamin B 12 XXXXXXX stuff like shellfish,eggs,dairy products etc or take supplementary medicine.
6) Avoid junk food as it has empty calories & take always fresh foodstuff.
7) Try to quit smoking & alcohol if you have the habit and herein psychological counseling may be needed.
8) Drink lots of water/fluids to keep hydrated & active all time.
9) Avoid stress/anxiety by regular XXXXXXX breathing exercise 20-30 times.
10) No medicine is helpful in gaining weight and mostly are associated with more side effects. Healthy diet/supplements and Exercise are superior to all.

Please consult with your nearest nutritionist and physical trainer for making proper diet chart & planning routine exercise.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health in future.