Suggest some home remedies for common cold

Can you pls suggest me some home remedies for common cold ?
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 54 minutes later

The main goal of any treatment for common cold is to improve your symptoms and provide some quick relief. Since viruses cause the common cold, antibiotics do not help.

Home remedies for common cold are-
1.     Gargle with hot water and salt to relieve a sore or hoarse throat.
2.     Drink ginger tea throughout the day, as ginger acts as a natural decongestant and also helps with pain relief.
3.     Sip on a cup of warm milk mixed with a pinch of turmeric and honey to soothe a bad throat and other cold symptoms.
4.     Include foods that are high in antioxidants, vitamin C and vitamin B such as fresh fruit and vegetables to boost your immunity. This will not only help fight a cold but may also prevent it from recurring.
5.     Avoid heavy foods that are high in starch, and foods that are spicy, oily, deep-fried and processed.
6.     Drink plenty of fluids to keep your body hydrated and help flush out the toxins. In addition to at least eight to ten glasses of water daily.
7.     Peppers, mustard, onions, and horseradish that make your nose run and your eyes water are good foods for a cold. Many believe that this can help loosen mucus and thereby help to reduce congestion.
8.     Wash your hands regularly.
9.     Exercise often to improve your overall health.
10.     Explore options such as yoga and meditation to reduce stress levels.
11.      Do not share towels, dishes and glasses.
12.     Get enough sleep.
13.     Any medications (decongestants, antihistamines, antibiotics, cough suppressants or expectorants, pain relievers) for a cold should be consumed only after consulting with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review for me.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly