Suggest some diet, exercise or medicine to increase stamina?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been playing cricket for many years but over the last one year i have been feeling that my stamia has dropped and as a result not been able to carry on for long innings. I guess same could be reason for me feeling some weakness in legs if i walk a lot. I feel difficulty carrying on for jog/run beyond half a kms.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
A decrease in stamina can be there due to multiple reasons but at your age the main possibilities are-
1. Anaemia- reduced blood hemoglobin levels. This can be ruled out by getting a complete blood picture done.
2.Cardiac problem- Missing heart beats are one of the common causes of waekness and fatigue or it might happen due to some irregularities in the cardiac impulse. This can be ruled out on having an ECG done.
3.Weakness, any infections in the recent past, lack of proper regular meals, as a side effect of some medicines, etc.
4. Decreased calcium, magnesium and vitamin D3 levels. These can be detected after doing the relevant blood tests.
All these factors will have to be ruled out with the help of your physician to come to the actual problem for treatment.
Regular intake of rejuvenating fluids during exercise might help. Apart from the sports drinks which contain glucose and electrolytes you must have enough water alongwith to combat dehydration.
To combat low blood sugar, you can take a light breakfast, preferably some lean protein and/or complex carbohydrate with a little healthy fat-- before the exercise or immediately after the exercise.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.