Suggest simple way to reduce anxiety and stress

Please can you suggest simple ways to reduce anxiety and stress. Small issues like servant not coming give me a lot of stress due to which i cannot focus with things on hand. Please also suggest ways i can keep my mind calm and relaxed even under pressing situations.
Posted Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical opinion in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:

•     26 year old female
•     Known case of pollen and dust allergy.
•     Complaints of: excessive stress, inability to relax and poor concentration during stress.

I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:
•     Anxiety/Depressive disorder: need to be ruled out by detailed interview by psychiatrist
•     Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level. Start multi vitamins, as they are easily available.
•     Side effect of substance use (stop use if present)
•     Thyroid related problem: get thyroid hormonal assay done. It is more common in female
•     Stress before menstrual cycle (premenstrual dysphoric symptoms)

Treatment and advice is dependent more on the cause. Let me know about duration of your problem, recent change in weight, any major stress in life.

Other symptoms of stress which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth. Let me know if you have some of these symptoms.

Apart from above advice, following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by talking to family members or watching T.V. or counting back (100 to 0).
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk
-Breathing exercise, yoga and meditation (which you can learn from some expert in person)
-Cognitive behavior therapy (form of structured counseling) from clinical psychologist.

If not relieved with above measures, you may require help of medicines after evaluation of above causes.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups.

Wish you good health.
Dr Ashish XXXXXXX Mittal