Suggest safe baby's shampoo, hair oil and soap free from toxic components?

Feb 2013

Hello Doctor,
My son is 2 years and 9 months old and I have been using Johnson's baby soap, shampoo, baby oil, and hair oil right from birth. However I came across recent news on Johnson's baby shampoo stating that toxic components were found in these products which can cause cancer. Now I am worried on using these products and wanted to find safe alternatives for this. Can you please suggest safe soap, shampoo, body oil and hair oil to use on my kid that are absolutely free from such contaminations and ingredients? I don’t mind on price and availability. I live in Chennai. However as long as I can order and get it remotely also it is fine with me.
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 55 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The study was conducted on many products of different brand and most of the products failed to prove the safety in children in view of presence of harmful chemicals.

The study was conducted in US and some studies were conducted in India also showed the presence harmful products.

In India, the safety studies of all baby brands were not done, so it is impossible to tell which is safe and which is not safe.

We can't say the other brands are safe, as they were not studied. Without analyzing the other brand products, it is premature to tell that they are safe.

I advise you to log on to this following website to know the safety database of baby products.

This will guide you to choose the baby products with good safety profile. Most of these products are not available in India.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Suggest safe baby's shampoo, hair oil and soap free from toxic components? 2 days later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your detailed response.

I gathered a list of harmful chemicals from Internet and was searching in the shops for baby products without those harmful chemicals in the ingredient list. However most of the products has one or the other harmful chemical. Finally I found Chicco Baby Moments Gentle Body Wash and Shampoo with ingredients not having any of the harmful chemical in my list. However it has "fragrance" mentioned in the ingredients and I also learnt that harmful chemicals may be hidden under "fragrance".

So finally I still don't have a solution. Now how can I ensure that I use only safe products on my kid? As you mentioned none of the safe products listed in ewg site are available in India. I was also looking for some natural products in India. Few such products were mentioned as hand made. So again there is no authenticity and I doubt it's hygiene as it is hand made.

Having all these concerns, I would like to get your prescription on what to use on my kid. Please prescribe a soap, shampoo, body oil and hair oil that are safe to be used on kids. Also please guide me on what I should look for to ensure products I get are safe. I don't mind whether it is natural or herbal or Ayurvedic or anything else. I just want it to be safe.

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 3 hours later

Thank you for getting back and I can understand your concern.

As such there is no kid soap, shampoo, and oil are certified of not containing these harmful substances in this perspective of safe cosmetics and we don't have the reliable data on them.

Most of the safe products made from organic substances as per the Campaign for safe cosmetics (No Toxic Tub).

They are:

1.Organic blessings little XXXXXXX shampoo and body wash.

2 XXXXXXX organics calaguala fern treatment shampoo.

3.California baby supersensitive shampoo and body wash.

But these are all available in the US.

In India, the availability of the organic cosmetics is difficult.

What I advise you is to consult a pediatric dermatologist for further advise on the safety of cosmetics.