Suggest remedy to regain taste sense and appetite after taking Metronidazole

While taking Metronidazole for my third bout with C Diff, I experienced bad or changed taste, causing loss of appetite. Dr. changed prescription to Vancomycin and advised "taste" problem would soon be gone. But it did not. It is now about 3 months since stopping Metronidazole and no relief. Had my mouth and teeth checked but it was not the problem. Drs. and Pharmacists tell me my taste "should" return, b ut I have lost weight and am starting to form bad eating habits. Can you help? P.S. The C Diff has apparently passed.
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, It is true that Metronidazole can change taste to feeling a metallic taste in mouth. As you have shifted to Vancomycin, you are reporting the same changed taste. You already checked with dentist and was no problem. That is good as metronidazole can cause problems to teeth, but the dentist excluded that. At this point, I suggest: - do the culture of oral mucosa swab for candida infection as fungus might arise due to use of antibiotics. - measure the levels of zinc in blood : use of metronidazole is associated with zinc deficiency. On the other hand, zinc deficiency can cause metallic taste. - keep gums or candy in the mouth to reduce bad taste Hope it answered to your inquiry! Feel free to ask me back if you have further questions! Dr.Klerida