Suggest remedy to avoid dry and patchy during winters?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
i am XXXX 29 yrs old...i have a skin problems during this snow season my skin becomes too dry and it creates patches znd its very dry ...suggest how to ovecme this..
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Use a "keratolytic" with an "emollient" creams Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand the concern for dry skin problem during winter season. Dry skin is a common problem which is due to low activity of oil glands and less preservation of moisture in superficial skin known as Xerosis. Our skin is made soft, supple and moisturized by the combined activity of oil and sweat glands. Though uncommon in young adults but can be a normal feature in at 29 years of age because of diminution of activity of oil glands and sweat glands genetically as well due to weather factor where cold weather creates very low activity of oil and sweat glands resulting in dryness and dry patches. In dry skin people we most often advise the patient to moisturize the skin at the best. The most important part in moisturization is using certain different kind of creams. There is a fundamental in moisturization of the skin that we use a "keratolytic" with an "emollient" creams. To explain you simply "keratolytics" increases moisture in the skin by dissolving and softening the most superficial layer of skin. This process helps the skin keep to preserve more water in. Urea is keratolytic substance. Other than this Lactic acid is also used for the same. Emollients or better known as moisturizers work by forming an oily layer on the top of the skin that traps water in the skin. So we use Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils as emollients. So you probably got that both can be used in reducing the dryness of skin. The most ideal way is to use these two things alternatively. So you can combine Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils as emollients and urea as keratolytic cream. Therefore both can be used alternatively. Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils are quite cheaper and are available over the counter easily. I guide to my patients to apply any of these just after bathing when the skin is still draping. It preserves the natural water in the body. Secondly when you apply any of the creams later then also you should first give compressions of mildly warm water of can take a shower and then apply it. Do not use any strong soap or detergents over skin. Wear cotton clothes and avoid synthetic or woolen garments in direct contact of skin. An important thing is to Eat healthy diet containing lot of Vitamin A and Vitamin C in form of fruits and green leafy vegetables along with sprouts. Drink plenty of liquids everyday. I hope this information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology

Follow-up: Suggest remedy to avoid dry and patchy during winters? 41 minutes later
please suggest me a direct cream which i can buy easily in a med shop

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly find the suggestions below Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for asking further follow up. You can apply the emollient Lotion/cream (such as Oilatum lotion or Elovera imf cream with intense moisturizing formula) for at least 8-10 times a in day time and in night time you can apply a keratolytic cream ( such as moistal P). Alternatively you can use plane white petroleum gelly over the dry skin for 8-10 times. By using continuously with all precautions you will find very good results in one month of period. I hope this information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology