Suggest remedy for quick and long hair growth and for dry and wrinkled skin

Dec 2013

hi doc I m 25yr old n I hav a concern for my hair its started greying n I hav slow hair growth please advise wat can b done to get long hair.and also my skin is very dry and my hands are very rough. though my age is 25yr my hand fingers hav wrinkles and luks old . kindly suggest me some cream or tablets.
Posted Tue, 7 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: "Premature canities" with Xerosis hands Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to healthcare magic. I can understand the concern for grey hairs and dry skin problem at the age of 25 years. Early greying of hair is known as "Premature canities". Our hair roots contains color forming cells known as melanocytes. These continuously secretes color into the hair shaft. During aging process after the age of 30 years these stops functioning in a skewed manner and accordingly the hair becomes grey slowly. If at all this process appears early then we call it as Premature canities. Till now there is no exact cause has been identified but many times stress, dietary imbalance or any log term illness is considered to be an underlying important causes. Many a times the scalp hair color is basically genetically mediated so it depends on family pattern also in some persons. For the prevention part- You can take vitamins in the form of biotin, calicium pantothenate and other vitamin B complexes. Multivitamin tablets contains all these essential nutrients and zinc with above mentioned vitamins, so you can take it. Additionally increase you protein intake on daily basis and eat sprouts. Eat a lot of green leafy vegetables and sprouts which contains vitamins and minerals necessary for normal hair function. All of this will additionally help you in growing long hair. Very lately, a gel is now available in the market which contains "melitane" (commercially available as Altris gel) a new compound launched to prevent premature greying. It contains a peptide which stimulates the pigment producing cells of hair. FOR DRY SKIN: Dry skin is a common problem which is due to low activity of oil glands and less preservation of moisture in superficial skin known as Xerosis. Though uncommon in young adults but can be a normal feature in at 25 years of age because of diminution of activity of oil glands and sweat glands genetically. In dry skin people we most often advise the patient to moisturize the skin. The most important part in moisturization is using certain different kind of creams. There is a fundamental in moisturization of the skin that we use a "keratolytic" with an "emollient" creams. To explain you simply "keratolytics" increases moisture in the skin by dissolving and softening the most superficial layer of skin. This process helps the skin keep to preserve more water in. Urea is keratolytic substance. Other than this Lactic acid is also used for the same. Emollients or better known as moisturizers work by forming an oily layer on the top of the skin that traps water in the skin. SO we use Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils as emollients. So you probably got that both can be used in reducing the dryness of skin. The most ideal way is to use these two things alternatively. So you can combine Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils as emollients and urea as keratolytic cream. Therefore both can be used alternatively. Petroleum gelly (Petrolatum), lanolin or other oils are quite cheaper and are available over the counter easily. I guide to my patients to apply any of these just after bathing when the skin is still draping. It preserves the natural water in the body. Secondly when you apply any of the creams later then also you should first give compressions of mildly warm water of can take a shower and then apply it. Do not use any strong soap or detergents over skin. Wear cotton clothes and avoid synthetic or swollen garments in direct contact of skin. I hope this information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology
Follow-up: Suggest remedy for quick and long hair growth and for dry and wrinkled skin 5 hours later
thanks doc but let me elobrate my hands are so rough tat evn men would hav softer hands. Ikindly suggest remidy for it. im taking esvit tablrt shud I continue it or yu duggest some othr medicine plz.... I also hav dark circle which cream wud help reduse the same.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer: FOllow a good diet Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome again to the forum and thanks for asking further follow up. I can understand that your hands are really rough like anything. I enumerated the measures above. additionally I suggest you to go for warm water compression over the hands for 15 minutes each for two times a day. You can do it once in day and once at night time. You can apply the emollient cream (such as Elovera imf with intense moisturizing formula) for at least 8-10 times a in day time and in night time you can apply a keratolytic cream ( such as moistal P). By using continuously with all precautions you will find very good results in one month of period. I can understand your concern for the problem of dark circles too. This is due to activity of melanocytes which causes deep pigmentation on aforesaid areas. Melanocytes are the color producing cells of skin. This is genetically determined in majority of cases and varies form person to person accordingly. The most important part in treatment is by lightening agents such as Kojic acid cream ( such as clearz ultra) application which you can use under dermatological guidance. Apply in such a manner that it should not be visible to the naked eye and in a very thin layer. One pea size amount is sufficient for the palm size area, therefore half the pea size amount is sufficient for both the eyes. The most important thing is to Eat healthy diet containing lot of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. Do not try applying over the counter products as these can further aggravate the situation. Protect yourself form direct sunlight. Use a good sunscreen on exposed area for 2-3 times and drink plenty of liquids everyday. I hope this information will help you. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not then can close the query and rate the answer. With good health wishes, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology