Suggest remedy for hard stool due to constipation

General Surgeon
Dear Doc, I having daily constipation especially in the's only my initial stool that are hardened and the following is quite easy.. But the initial stool is causing me a lot if problem daily.. My daily diet I can consider is good .as an example. My daily breakfast is quacker oat, yoghurt, n fruits. For lunch I normally have sandwich . And for dinner I have rice ,banana and yoghurt.. But still I have this problem every morning..I only drink plain water no coffee and no tea.. Need your professional advise please. Thank you
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. The initial stool is hard because the stool passage through the large intestine is too slow. Large intestine main task is to absorb water from the stool. If the stool stays there for too long, it gets hard. There can be few reasons of it including low fiber intake and low liquids intake, chronic bacterial infection, hypothyroidism, medicines (ca-blockers, antidepressants) and colon cancer. Your diet, especially rice and banana does not help with stool passage. Please note that banana and rice is a part of BRAT diet used in case of diarrhea. That is why I suggest you to take a look at your diet and improve it. Please increase fiber rich products (like whole grain products), increase vegetables intake (instead of fruits), you can have some tea - it can stimulate whole digestive tract. Physical activity can also greatly improve bowels movements. You should also start probiotic intake. As you are over the age of 50, colon cancer needs to be ruled out in case of any symptoms. So if diet change wont help. please consult your doctor and consider colonoscopy. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.