Suggest remedy for eczema kind of a break out between fingers

Jan 2014

Hi, I keep getting an eczema kind of a break out in between my fingers. The break out peaks during seasonal change and in winters. Please suggest a remedy
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Chronic cummulative irritant contct dermatitis Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for asking on XXXXXXX Seems to be suffering from Hand eczema which is common in females and specially in those who do household work and are constantly exposed to water, detergents, cleansers etc (females even if working, anyways do more household work and are more frequently exposed to water, soaps, detergents and cleansers as compared to males). In this setting it is called chronic cummulative irritant contact dermatitis since it is chronic and cummulative irritation over many days. Its more of a problem in winters because the weather is dry and skin is more prone to dryness therefore can get easily irritated to soaps, detergents, cleansers etc. Soaps and detergents suck out all the moisture from skin and thus people who are involved in prolonged wet work like washing clothes, cleaning etc are specially prone to hand dermatitis. Their is some genetic predisposition to it as people who are atopic/allergic and have pre-existing dry skin are predisposed to hand dermatitis. In such cases it is important to keep the skin moisturized and use of a good moisturizer frequently is part and parcel of therapy. I also ask my patients to mix (with moisturizer) and apply a moderately potent steroid cream like mometasone OR clobetasol twice daily for 2-4 weeks. Once the dermatitis resolves, i ask my patients to stop steroid cream but continue with the application of moisturizer alone. Reduction in wet work and limitation of exposure to soaps, detergents helps a lot. hope this helps you take care regards