Suggest remedy for back pain and gas trouble during pregnancy

May 2013
Hi, I am having back pain and gas trouble now. I am 16 weeks pregnant now. Could you please suggest a remdy? Also, I would like to know, from when, baby can hear our voice and when we can feel the movements? This is my first pregnancy. I can feel some turbulence in my stomach. But I am unable to confirm if this is baby movements itself. Also, I am walking for 15-20 min daily. Then the back pain reduces a lot
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Baby movements at 20 to 22 weeks Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Some amount of backache is common in pregnancy. Physical activity is important in pregnancy. As walking is relieving your backache, you can continue that. You can walk 15 to 20 minutes in the morning and 15 to 20 minutes in the evening. This will help in mobility of the joints and for gradual increase in weight etc. Other steps that can be followed are : - Take rest for two hours in the afternoon and eight hours in the night. -Whenever you sit take support to back. -Avoid prolonged sitting or standing. - Prefer lying in left lateral position. -If pain persists use local application of analgesic cream. According to some studies intrauterine fetus can hear the sounds from 16th week onwards. But usually the reflex of the baby to sound can be appreciated in later weeks of pregnancy. In first pregnancy, baby movements can be appreciated after 20 to 22 weeks. The turbulence you are feeling could be gas movement in the bowels. Bowel disturbances can be seen in pregnancy due to decreased motility under influence of progesterone. Taking smaller quantity meals at more frequent intervals can reduce the gastitis. If needed you can take antacids before food with your doctor's advice. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.