Suggest remedies for sore throat and difficulty in swallowing

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
Cannot swallow, started out about 36 hours ago a a very sore throat on the left side, and swelling of my lymph nodes on my left side. When trying to swallow, I cannot even get water to go down....Saw an emergency doctor and said my throat looked OK but he was most concerned with my left side lymph nodes being swollen. He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic. I can't swallow so I had the pharmacist give me a liquid. I have a hard time just trying to swallow this liquid...I don't even think the antibiotic is really getting into my system.
Also, this condition is generating a lot of phlegm. I'm very concerned because I haven't been able to eat or drink....
Posted Sun, 19 Nov 2017 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs intravenous fluids and antibiotics, please get admitted

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood the concerns.
Since you are not able to swallow anything including the medicines for 36 hours you may go into dehydration and electrolyte imbalance along with further complications.
Hence I would request you the following:
Please go to ER/Hospital to get the intravenous fluids and intravenous antibiotics along with anti-inflammatory medications that have painkiller properties like Diclofenac which is available as injection and other forms.
Try to seek evaluation by an ENT Surgeon to get the ENT Endoscopy so that anything in the lower pharynx or posterior part of tonsil can be visualized to get a proper diagnosis.
Since this is an acute attack along with enlarged lymph nodes, the most probable cause is infective which should get covered within a few days.
Stay admitted till you can swallow liquids.
Further tests of blood will help.

I hope this answer helps you in right decision making and helps to get a proper diagnosis and management.