Suggest remedies for shingles while on Gabapentin and Valtrex

Question
My sister,who has low/normal tension glaucoma, and has already lost most of her eye sight...she now has shingles, and was hospitalized for 8 days and treated with Valtrex and gabapentin...and now has a huge loss of eyesight compared to just 2 weeks ago. did these medications cause that?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Valtrex and Gabapentin do not cause loss of eyesight.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

No one of those medicines does cause loss of eyesight.
But, shingles can cause it, if it affects the nerve that provides the eyesight.
And also, shingles happen in people with low immunity. Which means that your sister should be checked up to understand what has causes the loss of eyesight during this time of low immunity. It may be glaucoma, shingles itself or other problems which are triggered while person has low immunity.

would recommend talking to her local doctor. Most probably they know and have an answer about this.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako