Suggest remedies for numbness in the right toe

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am 71 yr old male with pre-diabetes, hypertension, had foot gout before, but am overall healthy and active. My right toe and the finger next to it, have been going numb repeatedly for a few months. What could be the cause.
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gout or degenerative spine

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

The numbness could be due to the Gout itself if the nerve is compressed in that region. The other cause could be degenerative spine in the lower back such can compress the nerve going to the toe from the back.

Do get an ultrasound of the toe to look for Uric acid crystal accumulation. If present it requires medication yup lower Uric acid, drunk plenty of water. If there is a large swelling, surgery may be required to debride the accumulation.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Follow-up: Suggest remedies for numbness in the right toe 39 minutes later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for your prompt response.
Gout: I used to have painful gout attacks in my feet, but these have not re-occurred for last 12 yrs. I take Allopurinol 75 mg daily as a maintenance dose and my uric acid level stays around 6. So probably this may not be the cause of my current numbness symptoms.

Degenerative Spine: How can I check for this? I do not have any back pain, and can lift, walk and exercise normally.

I forgot to mention that the numbness is more pronounced when I am lying down at night. Could the problem be caused by nerve damage from pre-diabetes or other causes?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Nerve conduction velocity study

Detailed Answer:
Diabetes can definitely cause nene damage near the toes.

Do get a nerve conduction velocity study of the foot to look for nerve damage first. An MRI scan of the lumbosacral spine can help look for pinched nerve in the spine.