Suggest remedies for hard up area around the stitches

Jul 2012

Hi I recently got my stitches removed but the area around the stitches have become hard up to the stitch holes
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Lump
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi there. Detailed Answer: Hi there. I hear you but would like to reassure you that this is sometimes a normal occurrence on account of soft tissue re-modelling that occurs. It may alternatively have been possible that some of the sutures were tight or that there may have been a secondary infection or there may have been a suture left behind while removal. If there is any discharge from the area on gentle pressure, then it may be a cause for concern & need for a test (pus...culture/sensitivity) & starting of appropriate antibiotic. If not, & the wound is intact, might I suggest the use of a topical cream called Contractubex that need not be a prescription medication & will help in the tissue remodelling in the area & the swelling will slowly subside but will take time. Good Luck & Godspeed. Cheers.
Follow-up: Suggest remedies for hard up area around the stitches 5 minutes later
hi there is no discharge but the skin does not look like the surrounding skin. tape was used so there may be a reaction. here's a picture. thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: If there is no discharge, it augurs well for you. Detailed Answer: Yes there may be what is called an irritant/ contact dermatitis to the plaster ingredients. This will simply be sorted by the application of a suitable corticosteroid ointment to the surface twice/daily for 48-72 hrs. This will decrease the irritation. Follow that up with my earlier advised if any swelling persists using contractubex in a similar manner for 1-2 weeks. Your local chemist should be able to provide you with both OTC (over the counter). Cheers & Good Luck!