Suggest remedies for cold and cough while on Tylenol

Question
I've had a cold for about a week. Mostly a cough but no other symptoms other than maybe a slight headache
when I woke up in the morning. The last 2 mornings I have woken up with a very tight back neck giving me very limited movement. I can turn my head a little to the left but almost not at all to the right. I took Tylenol 8Hr Arthritis pain tablets [2 before going to bed last night & 2 this morning] but that has only given me slight relief.
I'm worried that it might be a form of meningitis. Since it is Sunday morning should I go to ER to get it checked out?
Posted Sat, 18 Nov 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not meningitis!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

Neck pain caused by meningitis stays until the meningitis is completely treated. It will not also only get worse in the early hours of the morning. This neck pain is probably worsened by poor sleeping posture and it is certainly not in line with meningitis. The headache of meningitis is equally so severe that you wouldn't have been able to sit up and type this mail.

In all, this is not meningitis. There is no need for ER visit at this time. Tylenol, 1000mg every 8hours would help. Also, try to sleep comfortable at night. Consciously move the head from side to side to relief stiffness.

I hope this guides and helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.